Nevada: Know Your Voting Rights

To report a voting problem or for general elections/voting questions, contact the Election Protection Coalition at 1-866-Our-Vote or

Frequently asked Questions:

Can I vote if I have outstanding parking tickets, traffic violations, unpaid child support, utility bills, mortgage payments or other fines?

The Facts: Poll workers do not have any information about any outstanding tickets, fines, bills, violations or payments. No one will be at the polling places to collect, arrest, cite or detain voters.

Can I vote if my home is in foreclosure?

The Facts: If your home is in foreclosure, you do not lose your right to vote, nor can you be challenged on your right to vote.

If you move right before the election, you may be able to vote at your old address. If you've recently moved, contact the Nevada Secretary of State for more information.

Will Immigration officers be checking my citizenship status at the polls?

The Facts: Poll workers, or any other government officials at the polls, are not permitted to ask you about your citizenship status if you are already registered. In certain states they may ask for ID to verify your identity.

If you feel like you are being singled out because you 'look' like an immigrant, or if a poll worker is intimidating you, take down the poll worker's name and any names of witnesses and call the Election Protection Coalition at 1-866-Our-Vote.

Someone called me and said the polling place had changed or that I was no longer eligible to vote. What do I do?

The Facts: False rumors often get passed around by email, and phone calls may contain misleading information intended to keep your vote from being counted. A few dishonest candidates and groups even make calls pretending to be their opponent.

Don't believe everything you hear. Check with the Nevada Secretary of State to make sure you have the correct information, and don't forward emails to others unless you know the information is accurate. You can also call the Election Protection Coalition at 1-866-Our-Vote with any questions.

Can people who have been in prison vote?

The Facts: Being convicted of a misdemeanor does not affect your voting rights. If you were convicted of a felony, your rights vary by state.

In Nevada, felons lose the right to vote while they are serving their sentence. After completing your sentence, you may be eligible to vote, depending on the type of felony. See Restoration of Voting Rights in Nevada for more information.

Do I need a driver's license to vote?

The Facts: Some states require voters to present ID when they vote, but various forms of ID may qualify. In Nevada, newly-registered voters may need to present identification to vote. See Nevada Election FAQ for a list of acceptable forms of identification.

Do poll workers have final say over who gets to vote?

The Facts: If a poll worker challenges your eligibility to vote you can request a provisional ballot. Provisional ballots are researched after the election to determine the voter's eligibility. If eligibility is confirmed, the provisional ballot is counted along with all other official election results.

Additional Nevada Resources:

How to Find Your Polling Location: Sample ballots are mailed to all registered voters, and will list your polling place. You can also contact the County Clerk/Registrar of Voters' office or call Election Protection at 1-866-OUR-VOTE.

How to Verify Your Registration: Check the Voter Registration Search website, contact your County Elections Official, or call Election Protection at 1-866-OUR-VOTE. More Information

* Nevada Secretary of State Election Center * Absentee Voting * * Information for Voters with Disabilities * Nevada Voters' Bill of Rights